April 21, 2012

Girl Meets Boy anthology {Review}


Publisher: Chronicle Books
Publish Date: December 28, 2011
Source: Library
Goodreads
What do guys and girls really think? Twelve of the most dynamic and eganging YA authors writing today team up for this one-of-a-kind collection of "he said/she said" stories -- he tells it from the guy's point of view, she tells it from the girl's. These are stories of love and heartbreak. There's the good-looking jock who falls for a dangerous girl, and the flipside, the toxic girl who never learned to be loved. The basketball star and the artistic (and shorter) boy she never knew she wanted; the gay boy looking for love online and the girl who could help make it happen.


I wasn’t really sure what to expect going into Girl Meets Boy. I found the concept really intriguing, but was very surprised when I discovered how small it was. I’m very skeptical about short stories, I’ll admit it, but overall I’d say I enjoyed Girl Meets Boy and it’s actually encouraged me to give short stories and anthologies more of a chance.

I won’t do this story by story or anything since that would take forever, but I will say that some stories were very surfacey while others were so deep I was kind of astounded. If I had to play favorites, I’d probably say the first set and the last story. I really enjoyed them both and was surprised by each in very different ways.

Some stories (especially the first set along with the chat-room set) were very intricate and I was amazed by how much detail was captured in such few pages. Other stories had me flipping forward to figure out when they ended, though.

I was also kind of astounded by the amount of sex contained in this small book. I do understand, I mean, half the stories are written in the mind of teenage boys, but goodness gracious did it still surprise me.

The Nutshell: Overall, I’d say it’s definitely worth your time to pick up Girl Meets Boy. Even if you just read a few stories here and there it provides a very interesting look into both sides of a relationship. And the relationships range from lovers to strangers to friends who’ve grown apart.

Pages: 204
Series: No
Rating: Near Miss 

1 comment:

  1. I don't read enough short stories and this book sounds pretty good .. I'm glad you enjoyed some of the stories Jasmine. Don't know if I'll be buying this one though .. Thanks for the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]